The discussions this meeting were:
Improve tools for event promotion and scheduling:
- We already have https://www.champlain.edu/events-calendar
- As well as https://calendar.champlain.edu/
- There is now a “Class of 2022” calendar of events – manually managed
- How could we pull the master EMS calendar into Google – Challenge is that this would be one level. We will need filters
- Ownership of calendars is an issue
- This is already a Town Hall discussion as well as other locations
- Don’t want to be responsible for advancing this on an institutional level but wanting to push for changes on behalf of staff – not actually owning this project
- Work on promoting calendar.champlain.edu as a start
- Maybe could be a training on an upcoming staff council meeting…or a Dare U session…or “Google This” type of seminar. This could be around:
- what do staff actually want to see on calendars?
- How do they want to be communicated with?
- Training on:
- how to use EMS
- Where public calendars can be found
- Where to find Google calendars
Technology at meetings.
- This is already happening between Shaylea and Elin at Town Halls at least. Nothing needed from C&E.
- It is easy to display video of past meetings, harder to get interactive. Can rely on co-workers who are there to be conduit?
- What can we do at Staff Council?
- Lyle has work study students to do the filming. Two for the live feed. Another for straight recording.
- Breakouts are what become super hard.
- What about using Canvas?
- Lyle said they can do the recording piece. Only worthwhile if it’s used. Need to have a promotion and a good amount of time for people to get used to it.
- Others would totally just read minutes before watching an hour of footage. Would not just watch. Video does help with context if you are trying to process written minutes.
- Education needed on Zoom vs Google Hangouts? Phone and Google docs used more.
Informal conversation goal
- Don is doing two new things.
- Staff Forum. If feedback is positive could do again.
- There is a desire or need for conversations with Don to be less structured and more informal. Getting to know him, not just his policies.
- Nic’s idea was asking if Don may want to simply ride the new airport-style shuttle sometime in the spring semester and simply have unstructured conversations? Cabinet members too?
- Coffee hours? Bagel morning?
- Committee mission for the month…Ask around others for ideas on encouraging more unstructured conversation opportunities and contact points
NEXT COMMITTEE MEETING: October 29th