From Rebecca Schubert, GMHEC Employee Well-being Program Coordinator
Congratulations to the winners of our final Quest to Connect drawing. Hannah Cartmel of Champlain College will be enjoying a $100 Amazon gift card while Sarah DeBouter of Norwich University and Mikki Lane of Middlebury are each taking home a Garmin Forerunner 35 GPS watch. Our next DIEMlife Quest, the Quest to Get Moving is being planned for early this summer. Details will be coming your way as the time draws closer. It will be a great opportunity to challenge yourself, to compete against your colleagues, to win some cool prizes, and of course, enhance your well-being. I look forward to seeing you there.
I would also like to take this opportunity again to remind everyone about the resources that your college and Cigna have to support your well-being. These resources include telemedicine and virtual visits with mental health providers, health and financial coaching, legal referral and more. You can learn more about those resources here and here.
And one more resource…from Sarah Richardson, coach and educator. This page includes some great tips for self-care and working from home like a boss.
Now for my ask….I’d love to get your feedback about what we’ve been offering, when activities are being offered and how we might be better able to meet your needs and interests. Please take five minutes to complete this google form. I very much appreciate your input and thank you in advance for your time. It’s been so wonderful to see so many of you over these last few weeks and I look forward to seeing you in the coming weeks. Take care and stay well.
To stay up to date with all of our events, check out the calendar on the GMHEC Well-being (password is GMHECWell-Being), join our Facebook group or subscribe to the All Things Well-being listserv by sending a request to Rebecca.email@example.com
Alright….without further ado….here’s what we’ve got for you this week.
· Get the kinks out with Beth: Join Beth Umba, massage therapist and yoga teacher for a stretch session to release the kinks in your neck, shoulders, back and hips. Sitting for long periods of time promotes muscle fatigue and muscle strain, and over time, pain. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join Beth as she guides us through some stretches that we can do right from our desk or home office to get our bodies feeling their best. Wednesdays 10:00-10:20 am EST and Fridays 3:00-3:20 pm EST May 4th through May 29th https://zoom.us/j/5101754836
· Yoga! Ongoing with our partner True Center Yoga. 15 classes per week. Check out their schedule here.
· Move with Yoo-Sun: Yoo-Sun is Julliard trained violinist, teacher, trainer and co-founder of DIEMlife. Yoo-Sun will lead us through a short but energizing cardio based workout that will leave us feeling energized and ready to tackle the rest of the day. This workout is geared for people of all fitness levels and modifications to all exercises can be made by the instructor. Monday, Wednesday and Friday through May 29th. 12:00-12:30 pm EST. https://zoom.us/j/649464789 Password GMHEC
· Pump up your muscles with Jeff: Join Jeff Morton, founder of Morton Training Systems for a 30 minute, total body strength training workout. Strength training is one of the best types of activities we can do to stay strong, have better body mechanics and prevent the aches and pains of sitting all day. This workout is appropriate for all levels and modifications of all exercises can be made by the instructor. Grab a set of dumbbells or two or a couple of soup cans and let’s get moving. Tuesday and Thursdays through May 28th 12:00-12:30 pm EST. https://zoom.us/j/3402261177
· Let’s get cooking! Missed the last sessions? You can view the classes here. Here’s what we’ve got cooking in May…. All classes are on Wednesdays 6-7:30 pm EST. Preregistration required. To register contact RD@wholehealthnutritionvt.com. Recipe and meeting link will be provided upon registration.
o 5/6: Coconut Shrimp Curry with mushrooms and bok choy (your choice of protein)
o 5/13: Vegetarian protein packed pasta primavera
o 5/20: Falafel lettuce wraps with tahini dressing and cucumber & tomato salad
o 5/27: Roasted cauliflower and black bean tacos with lime crema (vegetarian with option to add meat)
· Commit to get fit. The Edge online 90 Day Commit to Get Fit Program will be kicking off on May 5th but there is still time to register. This comprehensive online wellness program is designed to provide an education to enrich your life and help you become healthier. Over the course of 13 weeks you will work with a health coach, a Registered Dietitian and a personal trainer to support you to adopt and maintain healthy lifestyle behaviors. Topics will include fitness, nutrition, stress management and behavior modification. This program will help you build a customized wellness plan, improve your health risk factors, reduce body fat and gain muscle, practice stress management and gain new energy and learn how to eat right and stay on track. There is a fee associated with this program but a portion may be covered by your health insurance and GMHEC will kick in a portion of the payment. To learn more, contact Nicole Williams, Director of The Edge Preventative Care at NWilliams@edgevt.com.
· From The Edge…. The Edge is offering many free online classes for members and non-members. In addition to classes led by Edge instructors, The Edge is also offering free access to 85 Les Mills classes including classes for kids. Check out their offerings here or go to the Edge Group Fitness Facebook page
For the kids:
· It’s playtime….Grab your kids (grades 2- 6) and join CrossFit coaches Grant and Chanelle Shymske of Upper Arlington CrossFit for some fun and play. This 30 minute session will get your kids moving, teach them some skills and help them develop body awareness. Parents are welcome to join to make it a family fun event. No equipment necessary. Tuesday, May 5th and Thursday, May 7th. Noon-12:30 pm EST. https://us04web.zoom.us/j/75611809627
· Backyard Composting: Join Shannon Choquette from Northeast Kingdom Waste Management District for a discussion about Act 148, the environmental and economic benefits of food waste reduction, choosing the ideal set-up for your compost production, building and maintaining a productive compost pile, best compost ingredients and troubleshooting common compositing problems. The workshop is designed to provide the essential information you’ll need to feel comfortable experimenting with backyard composting. Thursday, May 7th 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm EST
Register in advance for this meeting at:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
· Paint and Sip: Join Meagan Van Woert from Paint and Sip VT for a fun afternoon of painting and sipping. Get your creative juices flowing as we paint and sip our way to Zen & Peace. Saturday, May 9th 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm EST. Preregistration required: To register contact Rebecca.firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday, May 6th at 5:00 pm EST. No registrations can be accepted after this time. If you need supplies, we have a few suggestions here:
o Here is what you will need:
– Paints (acrylic craft paint – any brand is fine)
– Brushes (a couple of different sizes )
– Canvas, Sap Bucket, Paper, Wood – something to paint on
– Water cup
· Managing Energy for Full Engagement: Peak performance in work and in life depend on personal energy. We so often hear about the importance of time management but time is finite. It is the one thing we can never make more of. Energy, on the other hand, is a renewable resource. Join Rebecca Schubert, MS RDN, GMHEC Employee Well-being Coordinator, for an interactive session on managing your personal energy. Come away with practical strategies you can implement to help you avoid an energy crisis and which will enable you to thrive in work and in life. Tuesday, May 5th 3:00-4:30 pm EST. https://zoom.us/j/2462738284 password 135790
· Chaplain’s Moment: Join the chaplains from the Scott Center for Spiritual and Religious Life at Middlebury every noon time on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the foreseeable future for a 15 minute reflection on what is happening around us and within our spirits. Rabbi Danielle, Chaplain Saifa, and Dean Mark will take turns leading a brief meditation on some piece of literature, poetry or world wisdom. There will be room for silence and reflection, and a bit of interaction toc onclude. https://middlebury.zoom.us/j/8101629085
· Guided mindfulness with Kendra: Join Kendra Smith, yoga and meditation teacher for an hour of relaxation and time to reconnect with yourself. Kendra will provide guidance and time for quiet reflection. Ongoing Tuesdays 5:00-6:00 pm EST. https://zoom.us/j/94204980963 Password 8026542000
· Get clear with what you want and who you want to be:Powerful Intention setting Series with Beth Umba. If not now, when? The world is in a huge transitional time. Life will not be what it used to be and that’s quite alright. Join Beth, navigational coach who leans in with her keen sense of curiosity, intuition + humor while powerfully listening as she helps create inspirational futures for her clients. Four, one hour sessions Wednesdays from 5:00-6:00 pm EST, April 29th through May 20th. Learn how to become the creator of your life experiences through the powerful practice of defining and setting daily intentions. https://zoom.us/j/5101754836