Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving looked pretty different this year. Despite the obstacles, Champlainers found lots of ways to reinvent old traditions, make new ones, and enjoy delicious food!

Nate Walpole
“A simple, quiet holiday at home with the kids and spouse. I love to cook; any celebration centered around food usually receives two tasty meals. The first was turkey breast en cocotte, cornbread stuffing, mashed white potatoes, poached cremini mushrooms, scratch-made cranberry compote, and roasted carrot gravy. The second, a simple Prime Rib, au jus, crispy potato pancake, horseradish sour cream, and creamed spinach. Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday to celebrate being a locavore and the generous riches Vermont offers in next-door meat and produce.”
Christina Erickson
“We invited a table full of guests. Fortunately, they arrived stuffed so didn’t eat much…”
Shaylea Scribner
“Just me, my mom and dad, and our Goldendoodle Kenzie! Pretty quiet but still scrumptious food! Put up some Christmas decorations and did a family Zoom call with those we normally would celebrate with from across the country. One nice thing about less people…more leftovers! ;-)”
Caroline Toy
“My family lives in Georgia, so I was not with them this year. Because many of them are talented cooks, I don’t really do much holiday baking…so I went all out to learn. I made bread, two kinds of cookies, and a pie, so I’ll be eating dessert until the December holidays (when I can learn more recipes)!”
Jennifer Reardon
“Enjoyed a meal prepared outside in our wood-fired oven! The oven is a DIY “quarantine project” started in April and still in progress.”
Ellen Emery
“Listening to Alice’s Restaurant ‘together’!”
Jen Perlee
“Since everything about our Thanksgiving was different this year Kris and I decided to have a seafood Thanksgiving. According to historical lore lobster was a part of the first Thanksgiving. Not sure about clams and crab but we ran with it. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. #lobsteristhenewturkey”
Becca Hopkins
“We ordered dinner from Green Mountain Catering. It was a little strange making Thanksgiving dinner by popping a foil plate into the oven, but it was nice to not have to do a lot of cooking. We were really missing family, but my boyfriend still made his legendary Tollhouse Cookie Pie, so we got to keep that little “slice” of tradition alive.”
Leah Miller
“We spent it cooking, eating and having our own ‘turkey trot’. Oakley enjoyed his new turkey leg!”
Lisa Mazz
“Lots of Zoom love, good food and puppy love too! I am eternally grateful! Peace and good health everyone!”
Roz Whitaker-Heck
“Although there were only four of us this year, we still cooked for an army! Other family members from Virginia and Connecticut joined via Facetime. Decorating the table is the best part of the holiday for me!”
Celia Dehais
“My fiancé and I made dinner ourselves for the first time. While it was just the two for us for dinner, we were able to see friends and family members through Zoom.”
Ricky Padgett
“Just me and my spouse – and we each had an GF apple galette for the day and into the weekend!”
Danielle L’Esperance
“Luckily (sort of) I live alone and was able to visit one other household for the occasion. I had a quiet dinner with my parents. I did the cooking!”
Sarah Camille Wilson
“My husband and I had a thanksgiving dinner for two that I was too busy cooking and eating to photograph. This picture is from one of many dog walks that week. This view got me thinking about the beauty that can be found even, and perhaps especially, when the landscape seems dead and quiet. Even though this holiday felt empty for many of us compared to our usual traditions, there is still beautify in our treasured relationships, and in the lives we all saved by staying home.”